The Academy Awards to women are like the Superbowl to men. Am I right, ladies? An event such as this calls for munchies! After all, there’s the red carpet interviews, the pre-red carpet fashion analysis, the ‘what do the stars do to prep for the Oscars’ show, and then the actual 3 hour SHOW. We’re talking hours of tube time. I like to have a sensible snack available that’s both kid and adult friendly and won’t leave me in regret on Monday morning.
I am a sucker for KETTLE CORN. My absolute favorite is our local Humdinger. I discovered it years ago and pretty much stalk them around town at local farmer’s markets. But, at $6 bag and who knows what type of oil and sweetener they use, I decided to try my own. I was surprised at how simple and TASTY it was. There are many variations you can make, but I like the simple sweet/salty balance.
Pair of oven mitts
(Have everything ready to go–this is a super quick process!)
1. In a large pot with a lid, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add 3 kernels and replace lid. Once you hear the kernels pop, this indicates the oil is ready to go!
3. Add the kernels and sprinkle the sugar over them. Here’s where you put on your mitts!
4. Cover and shake the pan until the popping slows down. The popcorn should be done popping in about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and quickly pour the kettle corn into a large bowl (otherwise it will burn and stick to the sugar at the bottom).
5. Sprinkle with salt and toss. Enjoy! (Try not to eat the whole batch!)
Note-the kettle corn will keep for 2-3 days. Store in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag.